Re: [TCLUG:4261] Telnet key-mapping

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, David Christian wrote:

> Does anybody know of a really good solution for all the telnet key-mapping
> problems that exist?  I've been trying to figure out how toset up
> everything from the keyboard/console howtio but have been having little
> luck.  I also need to log in to a HP-UX machine a lot and can't get the
> delete or backspace to work appropriately there.
>
> If anyone could point me towards a better document on the subject or a
> good program to fix the problems, let me know.  Thanks :)

Two things, I modified the source code for rxvt to make sure my function
keys were sending EXACTLY the right codes.  However, it is a bit easier
just so modify your settings for the "xterm" program.  Once you find out
what code you need to send for what function key, it's rather easy to
program them.

Example:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -xrm '*VT100.Translations: #override \
        Shift<Key>F1: string(0x1b) string("OP") \n\
        Ctrl<Key>F1: string(0x1b) string("[17~") \n\
        <Key>F1: string(0x1b) string("[23~") \n\'

Of course, these only work if you are in X.

--
Tom Cross                     Voice: 320-253-1020    FAX: 320-253-6956
System Administrator                          E-mail: tomc@kendeco.com