Re: [TCLUG:6797] AlphaWorks JVM vs Blackdowns JVM for linux

On  2 Jul, ^chewie wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:
>
>> Anyone have any expirences they would like to share with the LUG about
>> AlphaWorks JVM vs the Blackdown JVM?
>
> Hmmm...  I haven't used em.  I guess I am coming into the discussion a
> little late, but why use a JVM at all?  Doesn't the new Linux kernel
> support java executables by default?  If not, can't you use the SUN

Thsi has been in the kernel for about 2 years and all it does is call a
virtual machine.  You have to tell the kernel which one when compiling.

> JDK's?  I'm still new to this java world and would appreciate any info
> I can get...

Sun does not support Linux, only Solaris and Windows.  If you want to
run java programs on any machine, you need a JVM for that platform.
Under Linux this is JDK from Blackdown, Kaffee or Alphaworks.  At least
those are the 3 biggest right now.
--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~schewe