Re: [TCLUG:6815] High Latency and remote filesystems

On  5 Jul, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Anyone have advise/expertise in using remote filesystens in a high latency
> environment?
>
> I am looking at NFS, SMB (via Smaba) or AFS. Any of these implementations
> work better in a high latency environment? Any of them I should avoid?

I've only really used NFS in this situation, tried SMB, but it doesn't
seem as stable.  If you do use NFS, make sure you mount with the
options intr and soft.  This keeps you from hanging if the other
machine stops responding and intr allows you to interrupt calls to the
server.  Normally disk operations cannot be interrupted.  I've found
these handy even on my LAN, for times when a machine goes down or my
roommate decides to transfer 1GB across the network.

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~schewe