RE: [TCLUG:6915] relocating RedHat KDE RPMs -- UPDATE

--- Unni Nambiar <unambiar@Legato.COM> wrote:
> KDEDIR=/<wherever>/kde
> PATH should include /<wherever>/kde/bin
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH should include /<wherever>/kde/lib and /<wherever>/qt/lib
> MANPATH should include /<wherever>/kde/man
> XAPPLERESDIR should include /<wherever>/kde/lib/app-defaults

Set KDEDIR, check. PATH, check. LD_LIBRARY_PATH. . . not set explicitly, but
correct me if I'm wrong--only needed for paths of libraries not in those paths
listed in /etc/ld.so.conf?  MANPATH, not applicable it seems to me as kde does
not have man pages but rather a help system in HTML. But as you pointed out,
it's really all moot now. Nonetheless, I appreciate the suggestions.

> .... Or you could use GNOME ?  ;-)

Sorry, I'm a Window Maker acolyte. :)  This is all actually for my roommate,
who's a Mac user and is just getting his feet wet with my Linux box (he doesn't
have a modem to use our dialup acct.).  I set him up to use KDE so he wouldn't
have to mess with a CLI. :) He seems to be taking to it pretty well, especially
after I whipped up a script to run his AMCAS-E med. school application thru
Wine. Mostly he's happy enough with surfing, checking his email, and playing
the odd game of Quake. But I might just get him to learn something here and
there...

I really much prefer the GTK look and feel to Qt, but GNOME is just too
sluggish on my relatively old system.

Cheers,

Joel