RH 6.0 Hanging

I have had a couple of problems with RH 6.0.  First when I boot the
system it occasionally hangs at the finding module dependencies.  This
occurs about every 4th reboot.  I also added a Zip drive, parallel port
100mb model.  I am unable to get the kernel to load the modules.  It
seems that I have to insmod, but I am unable to do this before the
system tries to mount the device, so it fails.  A third problem I have
is when I try to recompile the kernel using make xconfig, everything
works until I reach the make zImage.  This fails.  Also make bzImage
fails, as does make modules.  Any ideas on what may be going wrong.  Is
there an output file I can check.

Thank You

Brian