gdm authentication

I had a question about getting gdm to work awhile back...I'm hacking away
at it again tonight. I rebooted to runlevel 3, ran gdm and routed its
output to a file, but I couldn't even get anything to show up in the
file because the greeter didn't even bother showing up.

My question now is: does gdm require that shadow passwords be used? My
suspicion is that a RedHat 6.0 install sets up shadow passwords by
default. Can anyone out there confirm this? I made sure that my inability
to login is not a PAM deal--the contents of /etc/pam.d/gdm are exactly the
same as /etc/pam.d/xdm

Thanks,
Joel

Joel A. Koepp                   School: University of Minnesota
77 Bedford St. SE, Apt. 2       Email:  jkoepp@gustavus.edu
Minneapolis, MN 55414	        Web:    http://www.gustavus.edu/~jkoepp
Tel. 612.378.4812               Work:   Hennepin County Environ. Services