Re: [TCLUG:7184] Process killing

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 schewe@tcfreenet.org wrote:

> > How do I kill a process that's in an IO wait state ?
>
> reboot.

That's not the answer I was looking for, of course :P

There's got to be _SOME_ way. I don't want to stoop to the
Microsoft fix.

In the off chance that a 'killall -HUP crond' was somehow
magically killing it and respawning it with the same set of
PIDs, I moved the crond executable to a new inode and renamed
it before doing so. No dice.

I can't seem to signal them anything. I can, however, renice
them to -19 .. which, given that they're all just sitting in a
wait state, doesn't do a damn thing.

I tried every signal from 'kill -l' to no avail. I think
I'm going to hafta add support for this to my kernel; it's kind
of obnoxious.

--