sendmail queue failures

How can I change what sendmail does with a bounce back / send fail. We
have sendmail routing 10 users on a dialup connection and I noticed that
one e-mail couldn't be sent because use didn't exist (it didn't allow sent
and sent a mailer-daemon, it just refused to accept the message) but
sendmail kept trying and triggering the link to go up all the time. The
message failure never got back to the sender (as far as I know at least).
Is there a way to have sendmail give up after a few hours and send an
e-mail to the sender?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Luey