Office2000

Yesterday I attended the Office2000 launch in Roseville.
There were some nice new features (everyone must admit, Office is pretty good)

There were a couple of things that really concerned me. First, they were
showing off how well you can publish documents into web pages, then they said it will only look that good with explorer.

Yes, its nice if you can control both ends. Of course you can make nice looking pages.

Second, it uses (i think) Microsofts additions to the XML standard.

Third, they have new features for updating to the web and web storage and some new web features.

Remember the infamous Halloween document? Extend existing open standards?

Basically you would have to use an NT machine as a server with IIS for those extensions to work.

So, basically, through Office, they are getting rid of one area where Linux was successfull in Business...

Just my  thoughts!