Re: [TCLUG:6434] Mutt, POP3, and SMTP

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 05:04:23PM -0500, John R. Sheets wrote:
> I just recently switched over to Mutt, after using Communicator
> for the longest time.  I'm having a little trouble getting Mutt
> set up properly for POP3 (although I suspect my problem might be
> deeper than Mutt).
>
> In a nutshell, I'm running RH5.2 with very few tweaks.  I'm
> connecting to my ISP (pconline.com), which hosts my personal
> domain, ravendusk.org.  My /etc/hosts for my local machine
> (raven.ravendusk.org) looks like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
> 192.168.25.25   raven           raven.ravendusk.org
>
> In my mail, I set From: and Reply-To: to dusk@ravendusk.org,
> but somehow my mail gets rejected by certain recipients
> because something along the chain tries to use
> dusk@raven.ravendusk.org instead, which doesn't exist
> in internet space (I'm using dynamic IP at pconline).
    In the .muttrc, find the line like the following
# set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi"
    Uncomment it and change it to
set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi -fdusk@ravendusk.org"
This will set the "From"(Not From:) to dusk@ravendusk.org
If ravendusk.org does exit, then everything will be OK. In fact, in my
experience, you can set this to anything(even some machine in China)
as long as it exists. :-)

--
The lunatic, the lover, and the poet,
Are of imagination all compact...