Re: [TCLUG:6525] redhat vs mandrake

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Ben Luey wrote:

> I have a redhat 5.1 server that I'm planning to upgrade. What is
> different between mandrake 6.0 and redhat 6.0? Is there any reason to
> switch, or should I take the easy route of a redhat to redhat upgrade?
> Also, what are the differences on the desktop / workstation side?

Ben et. al.,

I've just installed Mandrake 6.0. I've also got a couple machines running
RedHat 6.0. Actually, I'm feeling a little like a software reviewer. In
the past month I've installed RH 6.0, Mandrake 6.0, Caldera 2.2, and SuSE
6.1.

The easiest way to see the differences is probably to check out this page
from Mandrake's web site: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/venusfeat.php3

Quick summary: Mandrake includes the very latest KDE (1.1.1) and Gnome
packages, Netscape 6.1, more TT fonts, Pentium optimization, UDMA
optimization, and a bunch of other things that are listed at that site.
The install was essentially just like a RedHat install. It's a very nice
system.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your