Re: [TCLUG:6525] redhat vs mandrake

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Ben Luey wrote:

> Does the pentium optimizations mean that I should stick with redhat on
> my 486 server? Also, aside from pentium optimizations and udma, are is
> there any advantages for mandrake over redhat on a server that isn't
> running X?

The regular Mandrake 6.0 will not work on your 486. I think they have a
version available for machines < Pentium, but you'll have to poke around
their web site to find it. (I remember noticing it somewhere.)

I don't think there are a lot of other advantages for a server. Mandrake
does include BeroFTPd along with wu-ftpd. You may be interested in that.
It also includes BeroList (a listserv manager) and a Sendmail alternative
written by a guy at IBM. I can't remember the name of it right now. In
general, I'd say that Mandrake is a little more secure out of the box,
mostly because of the merger between the Mandrake and BeroLinux people.
IIRC, BeroLinux got going, in part, to create a more secure distribution.
Bottom line: it certainly isn't worse than RH for a server and maybe
marginally better.

 > (It sure sounds cool for a desktop machine though!)

Indeed.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your