Re: [TCLUG:6602] Can someone explain SCSI?

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Michael Hicks wrote:

> SCSI is something that I have heard about for a long time.  People refer to it
> in pretty generic ways like "It's better than IDE", and in specific ways like "I
> just got my dual-channel SCSI3UltraWideDMA RAID system working, and it ROCKS!"
> But, I've never been able to figure out what performances the different SCSI
> types have, and whether they're interoperable at all or not..
>
> Would someone mind explaining SCSI to those of us stuck in IDE-land? ;-)

Hmmm... how long do you have?  So far the best explanation I have found is
the comp.periphs.scsi FAQ, which is in two parts and can be found at
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/gfield/gary/scsi.html, which is the
maintainer's page.  This document can go much further than we can here -
it is the distilled wisdom of comp.periphs.scsi.

-Chris