netscape bus error when open messenger / preferences

I upgraded my computer from redhat 5.2 to mandrake 6.0 (after loosing my
/usr) and ran netscape-communicator-4.60-4mdk without any problems. I
recompiled my kernel but didn't run make modules_install nor did I edit
lilo and had my computer shut off. When I booted it agin (still from the
stock kernel) netscape died with a "Bus error" ehenever I opened messenger
or went to edit prefferences. Web browsing seems find, but I'd want
messenger and preferences. I then ran make modules_install and edited lilo
and reboot with my kernel (2.2.9 stock and mine) and I'm still getting the
same problem. But netscape was working fine after my mandrake install
initially. How can I fix this? What is a Bus error?

Thanks

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

No building is too tall for even the smallest dog to lift its leg on.
       -- Jim Hightower