Re: [TCLUG:6731] Mail Processing

This sounds almost exactly like what I am doing.

Subba Rao wrote:

> I installed new SuSE Linux. I have setup a few accounts for family members on my
> machine. I want to collect all their mail from a single ISP. They do have seperate POP
> accounts setup at my ISP. I have looked into sendmail/Qmail/Procmail/fetchmail and
> am getting more confused than ever.
>
> Here is what I want to do.
>
> 1. Upon connecting to my ISP, I want my system to collect email from my ISP for all the
> accounts

When I connect to my ISP, I use fetchmail to get the mail from my ISP.
I have set up a special user account from which fetchmail runs.

> 2. Each accounts email needs to be sorted (mail list subscriptions)

Then I send the mail from fetchmail to procmail which figures out to
whom the mail should really go and delivers it to my MTA, qmail.

> 3. Some accounts use private network (work related). How can I change the
> "masquerading" feature sendmail, to the private address, for that one account alone?

I'm not sure quite what you mean by this, but if you mean changing the
address from which the mail appears to be sent, most MUA's have this
feature.  If you're sending mail from the command line under qmail, you
can set a couple of environment variables to do this.

> Thank you in advance for any help.

I got most of this information from the Offline-Mailing mini HOWTO.  I
hope this helps.  If I can be of more help, let me know.

Eric