Re: [TCLUG:4378] Sound problems

I do not know if this made it to the TCLUG so I am reposting.

You are most probably running out of memory in your lower 16M
of RAM. From what I remember of DMA on the PC,
you can only allocate memory for DMA buffers in the lower 16M.

Look to see if there are other programs that are running which
eat away memory, run top/ps aux and see the memory usage of all apps.
Try exiting a few applications that take up space and then rerun
the mpl123.

If this is indeed the problem, I think the 2.2 kernel allows
you to reserve memory blocks somehow, I am happy on my 2.0.X
so I cannot verify. You can then reserve blocks for DMA
buffer.

You could also remove all memory chips and just keep 16M on
your machine then all memory is forced to be allocated from
the 16M, but not a good idea I guess :).

I could be grossly mistaken too as I usually am and if so my
apologies, but then we would have eliminated one more incorrect
answer thus bringing us closer to the correct one !

regards,
sandipan