Re: [TCLUG:4478] Mandrake and Partition Magic

I think the program is Fips and I don't know if it will work on FAT32
partitions either (only FAT16, at least that is the way it was at one
time). Defrag is the Windows 95 program you might need to use
(Scandisk is an excellent suggestion, however). Good luck, and record
your experience for posterity,

:)

Troy

At 12:58 AM 3/5/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I have a friend who wants to install linux on his PC, but he would
need to
>be able to repartition his hard drive without deleting data.  He
*does*
>have a backup of his data, but he wants to avoid reinstalling
Windows if
>at all possible.
>
>Do you need partition magic to do this?  Or are there other (free)
ways?

Yes,

There is a 'free' way.  Somebody will have to help me out here
because it
has been awhile since I used the program.  Now, my experience applies
Redhat, I don't know if other distro's have the program.  Now this
only
works if you are running FAT (I don't think it supports NTFS)

- First, run the Windows 95 ScanDisk in order to move everything
together
to one end of the drive.
- Once that is done, there is a program either on the floppy disks,
or on
the CD in the dos tools section that can 'move' the partition
around.
- I split a 1GB into two partitions this way about a year ago.
- If you can't find the program I am talking about, shoot me an email
and I
will look at my RH stuff at home tonight.

Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old AT&T Unix that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.