Cisco 675 Router

It really wasn't very nice of USWest to send me my router 1.5 weeks prior to
the hookup of my DSL line.  I can look at it, talk to it, even plug it in
and whisper sweet nothings into its login prompt.

But my real question is this:  There was a brief mention in the instructions
of plugging it directly into the hub with a straight-thru instead of
plugging it into an ethernet card, and I have seen it done at a small
business with USWest as a provider & dynamic IPs.  Does anyone know how
addressing works for this?  My provider will give me 1 static IP; do i have
to go ahead and set up a little proxy server anyway? (i am still awaiting a
NIC from them)

Thanks,
Allie Micka