Re: [TCLUG:4495] Cisco 675 Router

> >plug the router directly into the NIC card in your PC. If you only have
> >one machine, you really don't need a hub (;
>
> I am using the connection for 4 computers though, and was wondering if i
> needed to set up a little proxy server or otherwise how to use all those
> computers on the one static address i've been allocated.  I know someone
> who's using it for many computers by just plugging it into the hub, but he
> really doesn't know how it works.  I'm thinkin' that maybe cos he's using
> USWest with dynamic ips, he's getting one for each system.  I just don't
> know--

I believe you just need a Hub and setup IPMasquerading/IPForwarding.

You need to turn thes on in the kernel:
	CONFIG_IP_FORWARD=y
	IPForwarding requires IPMasquerading (if I remember correctly)

To build a new kernel, just get the kernel source:
	cd /usr/src/linux
	make xconfig
	- then you may want to clean up other stuff you don't need
          while you are there.

Some info on IPMasquerading:
   http://www.dlomas.com/masquera.html
   http://electron.phys.dal.ca/IPCHAINS-HOWTO-5.html
   http://www.mtl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iizuka/penguine/index-e.html
   http://www.aimnet.com/~twasm/linux/ServerConfiguration1.html
   http://www.cgocable.net/~glongden/Assignment/ppframe.htm
   http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/Courses/Computer-Networks-Lab/projects/spring98/masquerading/html/

Also look up the command: ipfwadm

I hope that helps.. Then as the others said on the other related thread..
	IP Masq.

Mark
--
Mark Dalton       CH3-S-CH2 H                      H      O       H
Silicon Graphics, Inc.  |   |                      |       \      |