From: Hans Davin Umhoefer <spudling@acm.cs.umn.edu>
To: tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com <tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:4588] Gnome

Not to be left out, I have a PII 400 w/128 Mb RAM and gnome with
enlightenment takes about 10 seconds from startx to usable (I timed this
with a watch). Some one quoted 2 mins for a 300Mhz AMD K6-2. I must say
that sounds unreasonable. Maybe there's something running in the back
ground (or was that an exaggeration).  Anyway, the only real problem I've
had is that the Gnome Terminal doesn't delete it's utmp entry so by the
end of the day finger says I have 11 sessions open. I'll have to take a
look at the compile options and see if I can't fix that.

By the way, I compiled everything from source. I'm not sure if this has
anything to do with my lack of problems but I thought I'd throw it out
there.

Hans

--
Hans D Umhoefer (spudling@acm.cs.umn.edu)