Win95, Linux Dual boot problem

Hi, Yesterday after about 2 months of not having
to boot Win95 on a dual boot machine of mine, I
tried to boot to win95.

It coughed and told me that the registry was bad
and it was out of memory and asked me to run setup
again. Which I did, and which hung my machine.

Then I tried to boot back to linux and it got
as far as "uncompressing kernel" bit and then
promptly rebooted.  I tried to boot using a boot disk
and faced the same problem. I tried to boot into windows
using a windows boot disk and it does let me see
the prompt but then any program I run hangs.

I opened the case up and made sure all the cables
were tight and ran the diagnostics with the computer,
the memory shows up as okay and it does not report
any problems.

Then I disconnected all cables internal and external
and reconnected them back and tried to boot into linux
and  this time it managed to uncompress the kernel but
immediately after that where it shows up the Bogomips
message it halted with an illegal instruction "0x0" and
dumps out all the registers and a lot of garbage.

Then I just unplugged the IDE drives and swapped master
slave and primary secondary drives. And voila everything
was back to normal with linux.

But when I try to boot to Win95 I again have to go unplug
and replug the IDE drives to get it to boot on linux.

I also turned off the machine waited about 5 minutes before
turning it back on but did not help.

Now even when I boot with the Win95 boot floppy I have
this problem. But once it gets going after the IDE cable
"re-plugging" excercise, linux works perfectly fine.

I do not have a clue as to what to look for.

Any ideas ?

Also anybody know of any deals on motherboards ?

Thanks,
sandipan