Re: [TCLUG:4984] The "Cube"

At 10:25 AM 3/29/99 -0600, you wrote:
>This thing sounds like it would be pretty cool. It's a tiny little Linux
>server for the SOHO market. Kinda like a Netwinder, I guess. Anybody have
>any experience with these?

Yes.  I use one daily since I got it a month and a half ago.  Very nice.
Intensely easy to set up (took about 5 minutes, including knifing open the
box).  So straight-forward that I am loath to give it up.

About half the engineers, of course, came storming over to peak at it.  So
here is what is inside
	2 boards (a back plane and daughter board) running a MIPS CPU
	One Quantum harddrive.
	One small fan
	One LCD light

That is about it.  runs on 25 watts.  Don't expect to add any boards to it:
the PCI bus is there, but there box is way to small to fit any PCI
form-factor adapter in.

Has two ethernet ports and a serial port -- you could use it as  bridge (in
marketing speak 'firewall' but that would be sick) to between to ethernet
networks (one might be to the outside world), or between your ethernet
network and a modem dial up.  I use a 100BT network.

Freakin' cool
Randy Maas
randym@acm.org