Re: [TCLUG:5689] GUI email apps

On Mon, 3 May 1999, John R Sheets wrote:
> I dug into fetchmail and procmail a little this weekend.
> Fetchmail was pretty straightforward, but I couldn't really find
> decent instructions for running procmail.  Or rather, I found
> instructions and plenty of examples, but not how or when to
> invoke it best.  The man page mentioned something about using the
> .forward mechanism.  What's that about?  Does procmail pull the
> mail directly out of the mail spooler and stick it into a bunch
> of different folders?

You can put a line like this in your .forward:

     "|/opt/local/bin/procmail # bentlema"

Then sendmail will call procmail before writing anything to your mail spool
file.  The rules in your .procmailrc file will determine where the mail is
written.

If your site is using procmail as its local delivery agent, you shouldn't
need a .forward to do this at all.  Just create the .procmailrc with the
appropriate recipes, and configure your mail reader to look at your
filtered mail folders (wherever you put them...)

Mark A Bentley                  Email:  bentlema@cs.umn.edu
Systems Staff, CSci Dept
University of Minnesota         URL:    http://www.cs.umn.edu/~bentlema/