Re: [TCLUG:5793] security (some pre-coffee thoughts)...

Sounds great.  First and foremost though:
* Verbalize a security policy for your network and put it in writing.
* Be very selective of what packages are installed on all systems.
  Never install "Everything" if you're gonna plug it into the Internet.
* comment out all undesired services in /etc/inetd.conf
* run xinetd or binetd for more secure control than tcp_wrappers.
* get every trace of linuxconf off the system.
* get rid of that decrepid sendmail 8.8.7 that RedHat ships with.
  Fortunately, 6.0 got an upgrade on that one but nuke that too and run
  qmail if you must be a mail server.
* If xdm is running, disable XDMCP broadcast in xdm/Xaccess
* Take a long look at physical machine security.
  (disable floppy boot, get LILO upgrade, no dual-boot, lock BIOS with pw,
  etc).
* Run security analysis tools, nessus, satan, cops, sniffit, etc.
* Do not run NFS if you can help it.  If you must, look into SNFS.
* Learn about encryption and authentication.
* Take a look into IPSEC, skip.
* Replace all "r" commands with ssh.
* Change passwords often.
* Lock your screen when you're away if using a public terminal (also, run
  xdm; xlock killed from a startx X session takes you to a shell prompt).
* If you must pop your mail, use ssh port forwarding to retrieve it.
* Use switches instead of hubs (if you can afford it).  ALL hubs allow for
  sniffing of every packet on the lan, regardless of what machine the
  rogue sniffer is on.
* Run full-duplex switched and fast ethernet (I can't stress that one
  enough although funds sometimes make this difficult).
* Run this: `find / -mount -not -type d  -perm +6000 -exec ls -ld {} \;`
  and un-suid anything that shouldn't be setuid 0.
* wrap off potentially dangerous suid programs (xlock, color_xterm, xterm,
  etc)
* Kill the xfs that RH6.0 ships with and get the fonts directly from X.
* Learn what ports are suspect for suspicious activity (12345, 31337-UDP,
  etc).
* Try practice break-ins on yourself.  Invite "trusted" others to do the
  same.
* Create and maintain a disaster recovery scenario.
* Keep on and offsite tape backups of your data (see above).
* Maintain a "zero-tolerance" policy for intruders, spammers and abusers
  of the system.

Last, but definitely not least...

* TRUST NO ONE!

Peter Lukas

PS:
Any of the following materials will be useful:
 * Actually Useful Internet Security Techniques
   Larry J. Huges, New Riders Publishing; 10/95 ISBN 1562055089
 * Anarchy Online
   Charles Platt, Harper Prism; 4/97 ISBN 0061009903
 * The Cuckoo's Egg; Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage
   Clifford Stoll, Pocket Books; 7/95 ISBN: 0671726889
 * Cyberlaw: The Law of the Internet
   Jonathan Rosenoer, Springer Verlag; 11/96 ISBN 0201633574
 * Firewalls and Internet Security: Repelling the Wily Hacker
   William R. Cheswick, S. Bellovin.  Addison-Wesley, 6/94 ISBN 0201633574
 * Halting the Hacker, A practical Guide to Computer Security
   Donald L Pipkin, Prentice Hall Computer Books; 1/97 ISBN 013243718X
 * Information Warfare: Chaos on the Electronic Superhigway
   Winn Schwartau, Thunder's Mouth Press; 10/96 ISBN 1560251328
 * Security in Computing
   Charles P. Pfleeger, Prentice Hall; 9/96 ISBN 0133374866

Peter Lukas