Re: [TCLUG:5790] Score one for Linux!!

schewe@tcfreenet.org wrote:

> On  4 May, Eric Edgar wrote:
> > For 25 bucks does that come with a static IP?  If not that is where the
> > cost difference probably comes in.
>
> If you go through Visi, you get 1 static IP.  USWest charges extra for
> that.
> --
> Jon Schewe
> schewe@tcfreenet.org
> http://tcfreenet.org/~schewe

From the mouth of visi http://www.visi.com/rates/isdn.html

1 Static IP non-dedicated metered access i.e. no web presence for the web
server $45 for 128K ISDN

Static IP non-dedicated unmetered access i.e. no web presence for the web
server $150 for
128K ISDN

Static IP dedicated unmetered (we have web presence at this point.)  64K
ISDN $199
Static IP dedicated unmetered ("") 128K ISDN $299

The scenario the was described which included a web server on site not
co-located requires dedicated access not just static ip.  Dedicated access
means that requests can originate from anywhere in the world not just from
within your site.  Non-dedicated access you have to be dialed in, in order
to have net presence which is not 24x7 unless you are running unmetered and
have a process keeping the conenction alive.

Eric
  estabroo@imageman.com