CNAME for samba

I have a network of a bunch of win95 clients and one linux server. There
is a windows program that needs one computer to have its hard drive shared
(via smb file sharing) for all to access in order to act as the server for
this application. We are going to be changing the name of the computer
that is acting as the server and later probably changing the computer it
is on. Is there a way not to change every win95 client from mapping a
drive to //oldname/dir to //newname/dir?

I'd like have have samba make the equivalent of a cname entry, so all the
clients could connect to //oldname/dir and the linux box would say that
//oldname refers to //newname. For a variety of reasons I don't want to
have the linux box mount //newname/dir and share it as //oldname. Or can I
make a share on the linux box that points to a differnt share (without
having all the data go through the server which is a waste of bandwidth)

I want to be able to change the server for this application in the future,
I just change who //oldname points to on the linux server and don't have
to mess with the clients. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

No building is too tall for even the smallest dog to lift its leg on.
       -- Jim Hightower