Modem and soundcard troubleshooting

Hello everyone. I'm new to Linux, although not to Unix and I feel very
exited of having Linux at home.
I installed Red Hat 6.0 and I'm having problems with my modem and sound
card.

Linux doesn't seem to recognize my modem in any /dev/ttySn. The modem is a
V.34 Plug and Play that came with my HP Pavillion 7125. Is that because
Linux has problems with PnP and it has to be configured using isapnp (which
at this stage is like chinese to me)?.

My sound card is a standard 16-bit sound card (I think is a Crystal CS4232).
I configure it as a SoundBlaster Pro using sndConfig, but it always gives me
an error message saying the resource is busy. Any ideas?.

Sorry to all the veterans for this novice questions, but any help is highly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Vicente. vmbarreiro@earthlink.net