Re: [TCLUG:6169] NEC Versa and LS-120 Super drive

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:

> I have a NEC Versa LX running Redhat 6.0 and having a terrible
> time getting linux to see my floppy drive. I think this is because
> it is a LS-120 Superdrive, which gives you the 120Mb(?) floppy
> stuff.

The LS-120 Superdisk is actually an IDE ATAPI device, which means if
you've compiled your kernel to support the ATAPI FLOPPY device, you
should see it somewhere in the /dev/hd{a|b|c|d}.  Linux won't
automatically assume that /dev/fd0 is your LS-120.

> Anyone know if/how to change the NEC to say this drive is just a
> plain ole 1.44Mb floppy?

Perhaps you could delete the fd0 device and create a symbolic link to
the hd* device that is your LS-120 drive...  I haven't done this, so I
don't know for sure.  As someone who has a little more device saavy
than me. :)

Chewie