Re: [TCLUG:6207] ipchains and RH 6.0

What are you blocking with ipchains / what do you want to block? Please
sent your ipchains commands. It might be that you need to open up some
above 1024 ports open, which is fine it no program (X, lpd or whatever) is
listening to the port to make a connection. (Please correct me if I'm
wrong)

Ben

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:

> Well, I thought I should make the move to ipchains, since I am now running RH
> 6.0. But I have run into a snag.
>
> With ipchains I am unable to figure how to do ftp.
>
> I am not masqurading, just blocking. My workstation has a valid IP address, I
> am just working on the input chain.
>
> After I make an outgoing ftp connection, the ftp server is going to respond
> back to me with the ftp-data part, but when I hit my favorite ftp sites,
> ipchains is reporting:
>
> May 29 05:04:41 mordent kernel: Packet log: lockdown DENY eth0 PROTO=6
> 206.10.252.12:4697 206.145.104.172:3248 L=44 S=0x00 I=61415 F=0x0000 T=61
>
> This is me typing dir after I have sucessfully logged into the ftp server. It
> looks like the server is sending back the ftp-data connection on some
> random(?) port.
>
> How do I assocate this connection with my inital ftp request?
>

> --
> Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700
> http://www.real-time.com                | Fax   : (612)943-8500
> Key fingerprint =  6C E9 51 4F D5 3E 4C 66 62 A9 10 E5 35 85 39 D9

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

We live in the Computer Age, and you need to get with the program.  You
are standing in the airport terminal of life, and the jet plane of the 21st
century is about to take off.  You must make a choice: Do you remain in the
terminal, eating the stale vending-machine food of outmoded thinking?  Or do
you get on the plane and soar into the stratosphere of computerization, swept
along by the jet stream of evolving technology, enjoying the in-flight snack
of virtually unlimited information access, secure in the knowledge that if you
encounter the turbulence of rapid change, you are holding, in this book, the
barf bag of expert guidance?  -- Dave Barry, Dave Barry in Cyberspace