Side button on Logitech MouseMan Wheel

I just picked up a new Logitech MouseMan Wheel mouse.  I set up the
wheel like normal, as buttons 4 & 5, and they seem to be working fine.
However, I would like to use the side button as my middle button,
instead of clicking on the wheel.  I find the wheel makes a bad button.
Has anyone else gotten this to work?  I would be happy to completely
disable the wheel-clicking behavior.

Any opinions on the Logitech wheel itself?  I find it to be a little
funny sometimes.  I can rock it a little without moving over the detent,
and it still triggers the roll movement.  So, by rocking the wheel
without moving it, the mouse is still passing button 4 & 5 clicks.  But
only sometimes.  This makes the wheel's button 2 click even more of a
hassle, because the middle click is sometimes accompanied by spontaneous
scrolling.  Should I get it replaced entirely, or will the bad behaavior
go away as the mouse gets broken in?

Oh, and as an aside, changing mouses has completely cured my freezing
cursor problem.  Of course, I noticed I still had an Emulate3Buttons
entry in my XF86Config file--oops!  Could have been that, too.  (c:

Thanks,
John