Re: [TCLUG:9710] ip_masq_ftp

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Amy Tebbe wrote:

> Have an ipchains firewall doing masquerading.  ws_ftp on a windows client gets
> 500 Illegal Port error when connecting to an ftp site.  ftp on the firewall
> itself works fine.  ncftp works when passive is off.  when passive is on,
> i see deny packets on the firewall that look like:

I have this problem when ftping to certain sites.  It happens when the
site does a back check to where you're coming from.  If you're firewall is
dropping inetd requests, which you firewall probably is, then the ftp
server won't let you connect.  The same thing happens to me at work.  I
have yet to find a way to get around this except to ftp from a machine
outside the firewall or possible ftp from teh firewall machine itself.

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe