Re: [TCLUG:9791] Palm Pilot and Seral Port

On  4 Nov, Mike Hicks wrote:
> I anticipated your response.  Apparently, you didn't anticipate my
> question.

I saw that and I still ask the same questions.  My rommate had his
serial ports enabled in the BIOS and yet didn't have them set to 3F8
and 2F8 with the right IRQ's, he had them on automatic and it didn't
work.  Also you didn't mention if the kernel found them.  You can cat
any device even if Linux doesn't recognize it and get no error
messages, you also won't get any data generally, but that doesn't mean
that the device is dead.  What are you trying to talk to your pilot
with?  I'm assuming pilot-xfer.  Do you get any errors on either end?
If you have a second machine or an external modem, or even a cable that
will connect your two serial ports you can test them with a term
program.  Point a term program at the two ports, turn off the flow
control and make sure the baud rates are the same and type in one and
see what you get in the second one.  If you connect to a modem, type AT
and hit return, assuming the modem is good, you should test this
somewhere else, then you'll get OK back.  Also, when you hook up the
mouse does it work?  Does X find it, assuming X is configured for a
serial mouse on the correct port.  Does gpm find it and allow the mouse
to move around?
--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe