Re: [TCLUG:9862] slow system

>	Netscape is also a huge memory hog, so having GNOME and
>Netscape running at the same time is a recipe for thrashing.
        I've got a 486/66 w/ 44MB here at work that I experiment on; runs
Wordperfect 8 quite happily, with no outrageous slowness.
        Netscrape 4.06 (notably smaller than the current 4.7 release *)
takes a minute or two to load. and once loaded, is *really* slow to open
windows/dialog boxes/&c.

* it's shocking when you start to consider a ~14MB install file 'small'; b/c
it's less than the current ~28MB monstrosity.
  and you can't tell the difference between the two; other than a few more
assorted bits of crap you never use in the more recent version. ;(
  back in college we occasionally talked about internet connection speed, in
terms of how fast one could DL the Netscrape install file. ;>

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091