Re: [TCLUG:9929] Adding RAM for slow machine

Dave MacCallum wrote:

> I have a Pentium 166 machine with 32 MB of RAM.  I've recently installed
> Redhat 6.1, and even though I'm running WindowMaker without Gnome, I'm
> still getting slow performance or even occasional crashes when I run
> Netscape Navigator 4.61.  (Don't even ask about StarOffice!)
>
> Should I shell out the approximately $140 to get 64 MB of RAM?  Because of
> the way my system is configured, I'd then have 80 MB installed. I've been
> told that with this processor adding more RAM above 32 MB won't make much
> difference.  Is this true?

  Untrue.  I have a P-120 here running various versions of Win and Linux.  At
one point
I added in a service pack for NT and upgraded to the latest Netscape.  Talk
about hard drive
thrashing and netscape errors!  I then upped the RAM to 96 megs and everything
was once again
very smooth.
  Note, you may have to either upgrade your Linux kernel or add a line to Lilo
to get it to see
anything above 64 megs of RAM, but even so it's the best upgrade you could
give yourself :)
RS