Re: [TCLUG:9988] .bashrc security

> Hello all you Linux gurus out there!
> I have a problem that maybe you can help me with.  I
> work in the Linux lab at my school, and every time I
> leave my terminal for any amount of time my co-workers
> put all kinds of nasty stuff in my .bashrc. Usually
> they put in a logout, then log me out so I cant log
> back in again, without getting root to remove the
> logout.  Is there a creative way to protected my
> .bashrc, so that it is very difficult for anyone other
> than myself to alter it?  This would be very nice as I
> hate always having log all the way out of my account
> just to get a drink of water or something.

Couple of things you can do.  First lock your screen when you leave the
console.  That's what I used to do at school.  Second if someone does screw
with your .bashrc, then you can either ftp in and replace it or su from
someone else's account and it won't execute you're .bashrc.  You could also
try making the file read-only so that before they edit it they at least have
to change the permissions.

I think locking your screen is the best idea.