Re: [TCLUG:10032] REDHAT 6.1 <arrgggh>

>WRONG!!!!!!  Every time I would get to the part about selecting packages,
>it would choke.  I know the net was working, 'cause that's how it loads
>the whole second phase of the installation process.  But when it came time
>to actually select packages, an error message would pop up with complete
>gibberish.  Very frustarating.
        I just installed RH6.1 on my machine at home, last night. tried the
GUI installer for the first time (all the other 6.1 boxen i've built have
been headless servers). must say it sucked. Caldera's installer is still
*way* ahead.
        no options for wheel mice (tho at least it detected my Logitech
Trackman Wheel as a generic 3-button); the X configurator seemed to work
(tho it wasn't as clean as Caldera's), but actually didn't (had to run
xconfig after install); and package selection was pretty crappy (little or
no sense in the preselected packages [I chose the 'custom' install]; and it
would be *really* nice if they could update package dependencies before you
get to them).
        on the upside, tho; at least it recognized both my vid card and
monitor correctly, first time... something that Winblow$ *refuses* to do.
This is pretty impressive to me.

it might also be nice to have it try to configure sound and network/modem
interfaces; but considering the hassle that the Micro$haft versions are, I'd
suggest they put that off until they have it right.

I don't have sound working, unfortunately... I think X was giving me some
error about a lack of a '/dev/dsp' file. what should I do about this? is
there a configurator somewhere that will automatically make this entry, or
am i going to have to muck with mknod and some HOWTOs?

     On the whole I'd say that Linux (at least RH's version of the setup)
isn't quite ready for the mainstream desktop market. Caldera is a good bit
closer there. The package management stuff and sound, modem, and printer
configuration needs some 'idiot-friendlyizing' before it will be ready for
most users.

        on the other hand, it has not ceased to amaze me what has been done
so far, so fast. :) Enlightenment/GNOME blows away everything else on the
market when it comes to eye-candy desktops (with the possible exception of
kfm/KDE); and it really didn't exist a year ago.

ttyl,
Carl Soderstrom