Re: [TCLUG:10124] module/ configuration problems w/ RH 6.1

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

CWS>         after installing RH6.1 on my system at home; I found

Problem #1.  RH 6.1 has been known to blow up and break many things.

CWS> that sound wasn't working. after poking at sndconfig for a
CWS> while, I eventually realized that the reason it wasn't working
CWS> was because the kernel modules weren't loading.
CWS>         doing a depmod -a gives some sort of configuration
CWS> error; something like: conf: 1 error
CWS>
CWS> (tho that's not exactly right; but there was definitely a 'conf:
CWS> 1' in it). the modules.dep file is not generated. gives this
CWS> same error at boot time, when it does a depmod -a.

Try a depmod -v -a and find out where (what module) you have problems.
You may need to recompile the modules for the kernel.

CWS> in other probelms: (probably unrelated?)
CWS>         running wish in 'make xconfig' craps out with something
CWS> about $DISPLAY being undefined. I've never seen this problem
CWS> b4... what happened here?

export DISPLAY=:0.0

This is probably found as an option in your /etc/login.defs or similar
config file for a terminal program.  Just read around and dig into your
respective config files and read the man pages for them...

Chad