Re: [TCLUG:10148] Mounting CDROMs...

What you should do is (as root) figure out the proper command to mount the
cdrom / cd-r and then you can add it to /etc/fstab so that you can mount
it as a regular user later.

IDE devices are /dev/hd*, so a cdrom on the primary for the second IDE
controller is /dev/hdc.

SCSI cdroms are /dev/scd? where ? is the number of the cd-rom.  This seems
to go by scsi id, so the lowest id scsi cdrom is 0, the next is 1, and so
on.  SCSI cd-r are actually devices with multiple personalities, the
writing part is done through the SCSI generic device, /dev/sg?, however
cdrecord and cd-write hide this from you.  You must have SCSI generic to
support pretty much any SCSI device which is not a hard disk or cdrom,
AFAIK.

The ZIP drive is a SCSI device, and should be treated as such even when
the interface is IDE or parallel.

There should be on your system or accessable through the LDP a
CDROM-HOWTO, a CD-Writing-HOWTO and a SCSI-HOWTO, and a ZIP-Drive and a
ZIP-Install mini-howto.

Have Fun!
-Chris