Re: [TCLUG:10159] DSL

I don't think you understand what I mean by "scalable."  Try managing
100,000 bridged DSL connections sometime -- It's difficult to adapt an
ISP's billing system to accomodate bridged connections since many
existing systems are based on dialup connectivity.

Even then, bridging mode still forwards broadcast/multicast packets.  The
majority of the users of this service use Operating Systems based on
broadcast/multicast protocols (NetBEUI, et al) which can swamp the ISP's
core whenever the box is up (assuming the ISP has "a brain," they can take
some minimalist steps to prevent this at the gateway).

This doesn't even begin to address the security concerns of DSL networks
based on bridging mode (DHCP assigned IP address configurations enable end
users to steal blocks of IP addresses, outsiders can discover the contents
of the DSL network thanks to the broadcast/multicast, there's little
to no interactive client authentication at the gateway, etc.).

This is already grossly off-topic, but if you want to continue this
diuscussion, feel free to reply to me directly or join one of the DSL
newsgroups.

Peter Lukas