Cheap PCs, the sequel - Linux Router Project

The Linux Router Project (LRP) is a micro-distribution of linux designed
to fit on a single floppy disk, intended for use on embedded systems
such as routers, etc.

Some features of LRP 2.9.4:
  - kernel version 2.0.36 (uses ipfwadm, not ipchains)
  - boots from a 1.44 MB floppy (no HD required)
  - once booted, runs entirely in RAM memory

After setting up one of the cheap PCs to do some simple IP masquerading
and port forwarding using LRP 2.9.4, it occurred to me that others may
be interested in doing the same thing.  The following links contain
useful information about LRP, IP masquerading (ipfwadm), and IP port
forwarding (ipportfw):

    http://www.linuxrouter.org/
    http://www.linuxrouter.org/modmaker/
    http://ipmasq.cjb.net/
    http://members.home.net/ipmasq/ipmasq-HOWTO-1.79-6.html#ss6.4
    http://members.home.net/ipmasq/ipmasq-HOWTO-1.79-6.html#ss6.8
    http://home.indyramp.com/lists/masq/msg05379.html

LRP is not the most "user-friendly" linux distribution, and I did
experience some frustrations setting it up (inadequate documentation,
bogus nameserver entries in the default /etc/resolv.conf file).
Nonetheless, it seems like one of the better options for setting up a
firewall on a home network.

Joel