Re: [TCLUG:10372] telnet over network

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 07:17:00PM -0600, Barry T. White wrote:
> Hey, this is just a simple home network with no outside connection.  I want
> to log in as root using telnet.  I don't even know what ssh is.

	You should find out and use it.  :-) It's actually fairly simple
to set up.

	But, assuming for a moment that you really don't want to...

	Edit this file:
/etc/pam.d/login

	and change this line:
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so

	to say this:
#auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so

	Then you'll be able to log in as root using any program that
uses 'login' to authenticate.  I only know this because I had to set up
a pam entry for sshd.  :-)

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature