Re: [TCLUG:10372] telnet over network

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Karl Morgan wrote:

> > >        The  file /etc/securetty lists the names of the ttys where
> > >        root is allowed to log in. One name of a tty device  with
> > >        out  the  /dev/ prefix must be specified on each line.  If
> > >        the file does not exist, root is allowed to log in on  any
> > >        tty.
> >
> > 	This should be removed from the manpage for login since it isn't
> > up to login how this works anymore.
>
> Just give it a try, it is how it currently works.

And I stand by that statement, but you are right. Login isn't responsible
for this function anymore. I did a quick check and it is pam that is
looking in /etc/securetty from the pam_securetty module. And the effect
is the same, if you move /etc/securetty out of the way, root can login
on any tty.

Regards

					- Karl