Re: [TCLUG:10481] Sound Blaster 64 trouble.

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Justin Coyne wrote:
>
> > I finally got my SB 64 to start functioning under linux. I'm now able to
> > play sounds, but only for a short while. About 2 minutes after I start
> > playing an mp3 the whole system locks. I can't type anything, switch to
> > another term, telnet in, or ctrl-alt-del. It is completely locked. I
even
> > allocated the appropriate IRQ's and DMA's to the ISA Legacy bus in the
> > BIOS but that seemed to have no effect at all. I have no idea where to
> > begin troubleshooting this problem.
> >

> > Justin Coyne <jcoyne@software.umn.edu>
> >

> Check out /var/log/messages after you coldboot and see if there are any
> error messages that the sound driver put out before the system locked.

If it's locking before that information gets written to disk you'll miss it
though.  Something I do when debugging is to setup syslog to spew all
messages to a tty and then switch to that to see them.  So add *.*
/dev/tty10 to /etc/syslog.conf and restart syslogd, kill -HUP will work too.
Then start playing you're mp3, then switch to VC 10 with ctrl-alt-f10 and
watch the messages and see what appears.