Mandrake Update and Boot Problem

Hello.  I am running a DHCP, Apache, and DNS server on a computer with a
Pentium 100 MHz processor, 32 MB RAM, and 6.4 GB Quantum IDE hard drive.  The
computer is using Linux-Mandrake 6.0 with KDE and Linux kernel 2.2.9-19mdk.  I
have two problems with the server that I hope some of you may be able to help
me with:

(1) Booting

When booting the computer, the place where "LILO:" normally comes up instead
says "Drive not ready.  Please insert boot disk in Drive A;  Press any key
when ready"

If I insert a boot disk, everything works fine.  This did not happen until I
recently  wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Linux-Mandrake.  Would a
corrupt mbr do this or ?

(2) Updating

It's time for me to update the packages on the server.  For example am still
running dhcpd beta 1 patch level 6.  Sad I know.  Anyway I launch "Updates on
the desktop and selected rpmfind.net as my resource for updating.  All of the
downloads go fine.  The problem is when it starts installing.  An error box
pops up and says "Package <insert package name here> is for a different
architecture."  It lists nearly every package that I selected to update.
Apache 1.3.6-28mdk.i586.rpm was one the update packages that was downloaded.
The KDE Control Panel defines the machine as an "i486."  I thought that all
Pentiums are of the i586 architecture.  I am not a system administrator  as a
primary job responsibility.  Suggestions -- how do I update?  Is the KDE
Control Panel incorrectly identifying the architecture or do I need an
architecture lesson?

Any assistance the you can provide is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.