Re: [TCLUG:10519] Computer System Prices

Ben Beuchler wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Troy Johnson wrote:
> > I don't care about the deal, I just don't like the bundle. The fact that
> > it's a ISP rebate masquerading as a computer rebate is what nettles me.
> > But not most people here it seems. Not important, just curious.
> I don't think they're being sneaky at all.  It's pretty straight-forward
> that it's the ISP paying your rebate.  Most people would figure that out
> when the add says that they only get the rebate if they sign a two-year
> contract with 'X' ISP.  As long as it's not AOL or some other 'not really
> an ISP' ISP, I don't have a problem with it.

I didn't say they were sneaky, but just because you, a sophistocated
computer user who knows what an ISP is, are not confused by this doesn't
mean others aren't or won't be. But that is not my point at all.

I don't like the bundle.

I see that MSN is now offering there rebate ($100 - 1 yr, $225 - 2 yr,
$400 - 3 yr (@21.95/mo)) on palmtops, memory, and hard disks (Best Buy
ad, this morning). Soon I think I'll see this rebate reflected in the
advertised price of bread.

As for AOL, I don't think they are that much worse than other nationals
(though I have suffered at their hands in the distant past, as others
have more recently I know). But again, whatever service is offered is
beside my point. And again, I don't think this is really that important,
and I hope your Sunday is a fine one!

Troy