Re: [TCLUG:10595] M-1 Cable Modem, Linux

Send reply to:  	tclug-list@mn-linux.org
From:           	"Carl Patten" <cpatte@trimodalinc.com>
To:             	<tclug-list@mn-linux.org>
Date sent:      	Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:22:25 -0600
Subject:        	[TCLUG:10595] M-1 Cable Modem, Linux

> (7) Set default gateway on the client PCs to the IP of the "internal net"
> NIC, and set DNS to that of the MediaOne DNS servers.  Assigned static IPs
> to each client (only had 2).

What are the addresses of the MediaOne DNS servers. I am trying to
configure a system just like the one you are describing here, but I
have not found any info on DNS with M1.

> Everything worked.  Next step is to get a domain name and register it with
> Just Linux (http://www.justlinux.com/dynamic_dns.html) so I can have a
> static domain name even though my DHCP-assigned address may change!

I have my two ethernet cards working ok (at least I am 99% sure of
that), and can connect to my linux server with the 'external link'
from my 'internal' net, but all I seem to be able to do from the
server is ping an IP address on the M1 network. Netscape does not
even work from the server (unless I boot in Win98 - everything works
fine then).

Is there anything more to setting up DHCP on the NIC with the
external connection than selecting 'DHCP' on the properties page from
linuxconf??

Also, could all of this also be done from a 'linux-router project'
boot disk?? I think I would really like to go that route if possible.

Thank-you,
Mimke Glaser