RE: computer system prices

Troy Johnson wrote:
>I don't care about the deal, I just don't like the bundle. The fact that
>it's a ISP rebate masquerading as a computer rebate is what nettles me.
>But not most people here it seems. Not important, just curious.

Most of the ads I've seen are upfront about the fact that you'll
be forking out $20+ to Compuserve or Prodigy in order to get that
$400 rebate (and it's 3 years, not one; just signed off on one
of those deals) and they also mention if there's a separate rebate
from the boxmaker, as there usually is on the Compaq Presario bundles.

One of the earlier posters commented that these deals are a good way
to get a decent machine for an indecently low price (my words, not
theirs) and this is exactly right. I wound up getting a Linux-compliant
366 tower with a very decent 14" monitor for about $60 shipping and
handling, after I knock off $475 for the Compuserve and eMachines
rebates. Maybe I could have built my own box for less, but I rather
doubt it; I'm not that accomplished, technically speaking.

Kevin Trainor
Wells Fargo Customer Accounting

"Well if money talks, why won't it speak to me?"
     -Jason and the Scorchers

...all opinions my own, not WF's.