Re: [TCLUG:10643] STMP/Pop3 setup

  Hi,

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, ^chewie wrote:

> *sigh*  I can see it now, another religious war about MTA's, aka SMTP
> servers,

I apologize if it sounded that way. What I meant was "I find Qmail to be
more secure" etc.

I am saying this from my own experience. I have found Sendmail to contain
a lot of legacy stuff that I don't need, and the sendmail config file does
look a lot like swearing in cartoons - this is in fact acknowledged, with
examples, in the Bat book (;

I am still trying to get all the Sun clusters at work to forward all Email
to a central box _without_ lookin for aliases in the NIS maps - sendmail
refuses to do it. Nobody knows who set all these boxes up, or how to
unravel it.

Setting up a tiny Qmail thinggie on each box works like a charm.

However, I do agree with you that each of them have their
advantages/downsides. But when someone asks for recommendations, I believe
that sharing my experience is more helpful than telling them to RTFM.

I assume they already have, or intend to, RTFM.

As for MTA Holy Wars, the LAST thing and MTA is is Holy. (:

-Yaron