Re: [TCLUG:8911] Pentium Pro server

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Tim Wilson wrote:

> Does anyone have a gut-level feel for how capable a dual Pentium Pro 200
> machine would be as a server compared to, say, a PIII 500? I'm thinking
> about slapping together a dual P-Pro system using a mix of spare and new
> parts, but I'm not sure it's worth it now that much newer systems have
> gotten quite cheap. BTW, let's assume SCSI in both systems. I'm
> considering this system for Web serving mostly. It would probably be doing
> a lot of dynamic content so I suspect CPU horsepower is more of an issue
> than with more static Web serving. Any ideas?

Given the way Apache and related software works, I'd say you'd get a
sizable benefit from having two processors over one. However, the one
you're considering is far faster than the two, even together. If you get
one, go for something like a K7 that can sit on a faster bus than the
PIII. I don't think the price difference between a PIII and a K7 at the
same clock is all that great.

Why do you mention the PPro 200 specifically? Could you get two of some
equally cheap chip, like a K6-3 400? That might be your best
price/performance ratio.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com