Re: [TCLUG:8981] FTP Install

>1. It is possible to do ftp install using DSL ? (will
>the speed be issue ?)

I've done several FTP installs using DSL and I am impressed at how well this
works. A workstation install of RedHat 5.2 took a little over an hour. I
just kicked it off about 10PM one Friday night and came back in the middle
of the movie. Done.

I haven't had any problems with FTP timeouts. I used the Linux boot.img and
supp.img floppies, choosing FTP as the installation method. After I
partition the drive it cranks right through it with no pauses. Never did a
"custom" install via FTP though, perhaps that's different.

>2. Can anyone suggest a faster/better ftp site for
>mandrake distibution ?

It varies. First try some trial ftp downloads from several nearby mirror
sites to assess speed. Make sure you read the README for the site you intend
to use and follow their guidelines. Don't download at peak times.

Phil Plumbo